The seeds of a story can be found in anything that piques readers’ interest.
What about a character who has an odd or unusual job?
- A flight attendant on Air Force One
- A maid or chef at the White House
- Tooth Fairy
- Buffy: Vampire Slayer
- Kindergarten Cop
- The Whipping Boy
Perhaps your character has a job that’s unusual for them:
- A grandma who’s a private detective
- A murder investigator who can’t stand blood or germs (Monk)
- An unlikely superhero (Superman, Spiderman, Batman…any of them, really)
- An advice columnist whose own life is a mess
- A deaf musician (think: Beethoven)
- A handicapped athlete
- People make their livings in many unusual ways! Start a file of odd or unusual occupations.
- Brainstorm about people who are an odd fit for the job they do. What story ideas do you find there?
- What would be YOUR perfect dream job?